News from Sep 23, 2013
Sep 23, 2013
The Collaborative Research Centre Episteme in motion: Transfer of knowledge from the ancient world to the early modern period hosted at Freie Universität is dedicated to the examination of processes of knowledge change in European and non-European cultures of the pre-modern period. The collaborative research project involves both external partners, the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science and the Humboldt-Universität Berlin, and the Freie Universität’s own researchers. These are drawn primarily from the ‘smaller subjects’ within the Department of Philosophy and Humanities and the Department of History and Cultural Studies. The centre’s spokesperson is Professor Gyburg Uhlmann from the Institute for Greek and Latin Languages and Literatures.
The Collective Research Centre learned in April 2012 that it had been successful in its bid for German Research Foundation (DFG) funding. This was followed by a search of the Freie Universität’s campus for a suitable home for the centre’s 80 staff. Attention quickly focused on the villa at Schwenderstrasse 8 constructed in Wilhelmine style in 1902-3 that from 1975 onwards was home to the Institute for Paleontology before being used after 2001 by various companies as their headquarters.1
In April 2013, following six months of renovation and alteration works, the villa was officially inaugurated as a research centre – an inspiring place to work and study.
1See Manfred Schulz, Berlin – Dahlem: Die Schwendenerstraße im Spiegel der Zeiten (Berlin: Selbstverlag 2012, p. 59 et seq.)